Council September 14

Photo: Erica Guy

Check out the agenda!!

10:09

The meeting is called to order for the first time of this year. We recognize that we are on unceded Mi’kmaq territory. We added a few new motions and adopting the agenda.

We are doing counsellor reports. Jessica Brennan (res rep) has met with Dean Hatt and they are updating the TVs and making stuff happen. Anika Roberts-Stahlbrand (board rep) made ISIC cards at NSCAD for two days, got up to date on summer BoG stuff as she was out of province, and attended a day of action planning meeting. Elanore Hornbeck (board rep) went to a board meeting this summer, but Michaela Sam will speak more about that and was involved with the long term financial planning.

10:14

President Michaela Sam is giving her report. The union did a lot over the summer. They did executive planning, office organizing, and discussed how to supervise Union Hired Positions effectively. The Wardroom and Galley are going well. This summer council voted to give the Wardroom money to help them cover the cost of a new dishwasher. Orientation week happened and was awesome. Over the summer they did solidarity work to end the ban on men who have sex with men giving blood. Sam went to the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) general meeting, and a CFS- Nova Scotia retreat. Sam went to MANY meetings. The alumni association is super keen this year. They want to know how to get involved in the community and help you. They also will drive you guys to pick up stuff at the shopping center — stay tuned on the advancement website for more.

Sam also sat on a long term financial planning task force with Hornbeck. Students are an important part of university finances. We have low enrollment and find ourselves facing a shortfall this year. We find ourselves, as students, supporting the administrative structure, instead of the administrative structure supporting us. The union argues that high fees are one of the things that causes lower enrollment and students dropping out. It also adds stress and prevents us from being students. There will be more to come on this. We also had a huge success that King’s will give bursaries to students who do not yet have a loan. Before, you had to be in debt before being able to have a bursary.  We can make positive change! There was a board meeting. The majority of the board (aka all but the students) voted to raise tuition 3%, international fees even more, and non-tuition fees all went up 3%. We had some wins as students. The technology fee did not go up up at all, and residence went up 3% not 8%. Sometimes things seem bleak, but when we come together, students can make a difference.

10:28

Student Life Vice president Alex Bryant is now giving his report. He thanked everyone for their work on orientation week. Societies are booming and the society fair went really well. We got some rad students up in hurrr. A lot of dark room stuff happened. The darkroom has been unusable. We have transformed the room into a room for our wardroom-galley management team. This is awesome! We may make an arrangement with SUNSCAD for King’s students to use their dark room. There haven’t been meetings for the long term campus planning committee. Athletics was cool this summer. We want to get more people into the gym, and more people out to varsity games. NSCAD students can now buy gym memberships and join in CUBE. Check CUBE out, yo. Glow in the dar dodge ball, amiriiite? He has also spoken a lot to facilities. They lent us their materials for painting the KSU office, so thanks facilities. Thanks to work from the sustainability offiver we now have new bike racks on campus, and they are full. There is also a conversation about a potential smoking ban. We aren’t sure what would happen. On va voir, or in Latin Videmus (I think that’s how you conjugate it).

10:41

VP financial, Emily Rendell-Watson is giving her report. She was not here this summer, but still did some awesome stuff. She has some neat ideas, such as running a financial literacy course. As someone who still regrets taking statistics in grade 12 instead of math for everyday life, I look forward to attending. The yearbook was completed, so thanks Colleen, Erica, and Jessica. She went to the CFS general meeting — it was challenging, intense, inspiring, and uplifting. It’s amazing to see so many students come together. Since we at King’s have lower than expected enrollment, R-W has been working on an updated budget. She has spent time meeting with people who are interested on sitting on finance committee. Remember, you, yes you reading the life blog, and any general member can run for finance committee. R-W would love to meet with you to talk about it. R-W is also thanking everyone who was in the office this summer.

Katie Douglas, vice president external is giving her report. She was working here over the summer, then worked with fossils, and then got sick and had to take a bit of a break. In late spring she went to the Let the People Vote Rally against Harper’s Bill-C23 that would inhibit the ability of certain marginalized groups to vote, including students. She also went to the CFS-NS planning retreat. They created a new campaign around lowering tuition fees and supporting students called face the future. CFS-NS also launched a mental health matters campaign. Miranda Faye, a NSCAD student designed it and it is awesome.

The Canadian Federation of Students Nova Scotia is hosting a skills weekend on September 26th and 27th. Y’all can come. Register in the KSU office. It’s a great opportunity to learn transferable skills like how to advocate and talk to media, as well as how to participate effectively in student government. And it includes free lunch. If you register, just make sure you can attend a majority of the events.

10:58

Jacob Baker-Kretzmar, communications VP is giving his report. He was in Ottawa over the summer. He took it pretty easy. He worked on bylaw updates, some website updates, plans for the year and made business cards. TWAK now has 1240 subscribers. The handbooks came in.

11:00

Rendell-Watson is giving a report on the yearbook. She looked at the quality of the year book, how it is distributed, and how the committee is made up. All of these have a poor level of success. She recommends that we should not continue to make a yearbook. Creating a yearbook is a huge task, so it is hard for a small group of people to create a quality yearbook in a limited amount of time. By cutting the yearbook we would save $800. We printed 60 copies, and about 10 of them are taken. Many people don’t even realize we have a yearbook. As a union, our money is our students money, and we need to provide services they want. Currently, the yearbook takes time and money for something people are not that keen on. The advancement office and the archives likes the yearbook, so maybe the drive for the yearbook should come from them. Bryant said he saw how hard people worked on it, and it’s a shame to see it get unappreciated.

11:10

Bryant is giving a report on the events committee. #sewmanyreports #lastone. So, here are the findings. 1)Union run events are an excellent way to get members engaged. 2)A lack of formal structure, and people who are committed to the it for the year, makes it touch. 3) The members expect us to do fun things. He thinks that we should elect people to events committee, which they are on for the year. Events committee would then put out a call for event proposals, lays out a schedule, and helps budget. This allows for input from students. It is overseen by student life vice president. He is looking for feedback and wants to run events committee like this, and then think of changing the bylaws in January.

Brennan asks how we will leave space for first years asking to do things, who may not feel comfortable right at the beginning of the year? Bryant says we are putting money aside to events can happen if something comes up later in the year.

11:20

WE MADE IT! We are on action items.

We are ratifying multiple awesome societies in omnibus, which means all together instead of each one individually. However, we are going to vote individually on the ones who are asking for special designation (aka can get money for draanks). CKDU, the Dal (and King’s) radio is ratifying with us this year. It’s a cool thing to get involved in. Sorry for ending a sentence with a preposition. NSPIRG (which does anti-oppression and environmental work), WUSC (world university service of Canada), and CKDU are all levied societies, which means you all give them money. They are all ratifying with us, so get involved.

We voted, and they are all ratified.

11:34

We are now voting on whether to ratify and give special designation to the early modern studies society, The Haliburton Society, NSPIRG, the KTS, and the King’s Chorus. Special designation allows societies to apply for money for alcohol. They need to be established societies with good financial records. All of them are passed

11:50

We moved the recess until noon so rez kids (like me) #rezlyfe will be able to get lunch at rez.

11:51

The KSU can only afford to sent one person to the fall CFS general meeting. This one person is covered by CFS national, to make sure all locals can send someone regardless of financial situation.

Rendell-Watson nominated it Sam. Sam is motivating for herself. The CFS works hard to make meetings accessible, however, it would be tough to go alone for the first time. Sam is experienced and has been honoured to represent King’s and Nova Scotia. She can attend both the women’s constituency meeting, and the racialized student constituency group. Last meeting, Sam and Rachelle McKay were the first King’s students to sit in the racialized student constituency in 7 years. This will be a meeting that speak a lot about services, like our awesome not-for-profit health plan. She is excited to bring her knowledge and take knowledge back. She would feel very lucky to attend again.

We voted to send Sam to the CFS general meeting.

11:57

We are now discussing whether Bryant and Sam should receive $500 and $750 respectively for their work over the second half of the summer. Rendell-Watson said they both did good work.

We voted to give both of them the dolla dolla billz. We did these both separately.

12:00 – Recess

12:25 – back

We are voting on whether the KTS should get $165.60 to print an exhibition catalogue for the whereabouts pop-up gallery from September 16-20th in the pit.

Amanda Shore, a NSCAD  (and King’s) student, is speaking. She had asked for 75 copies. There are 17 exhibitioners, which means with 50 there are only 33 for the public.  it would be $23 more. It is important because there is nothing describing things on the wall. Also, the artists deserve to have their work published and distributed through these. It doesn’t credit the artists enough to only have 33 copies for the public. The idea is that this is a publication that people take home if they want.

Baker-Kretzmar asked why the KSU isn’t printing it. Shore said they want to get it professionally printed so it is a book.

Sam asked if the KTS was going to submit additional funding requests this year. They are not sure. They may ask for something in the next term around $1000 for the lighting board. But this is a huge discussion and they are not sure yet.

Hornbeck asked what funding they have gotten from NSCAD. The KTS has given them $250 for production costs. SUNSCAD is funding anything to make the pit exhibition friendly. Shore thinks this is appropriate for the KSU to document this happening.

Rendell-Watson asked the make up of the artists. There are 9 artists, one of them is a King’s student.

Rendell-Watson included in their funding request that they have a budget from the KTS, and anything the KSU didn’t fund they could dip into the KTS budget.

Sam has moved to amend the motion so that it will cover enough for 75 prints, or ~$23 more. We voted and passed it.

12:40

We are voting on giving $100 to Harrington Critchley to attend an undergrad philosophy conference. We voted and passed it.

12:43

We are voting on whether the foreign film society should get $280 for seven film screenings and food. We voted and passed it.

We are voting on whether the Haliburton society gets $1,1887.87 for multiple meetings, their 130th birthday party, fellow dinners, banking, acquisitions, and locker rentals for their supplies.

Baker-Kretzmar asked what banking means. The bank account has existed for many years. CIBC is charging them fees for the account, but they are thinking of switching accounts.

Bryant commends the Haliburton Society’s responsible fiscal management.

We voted on it. It passed.

12:50

We are voting on whether we should produce a yearbook or not.

Sam is saying we should vote for it (and not make a yearbook). It’s not that we don’t think a yearbook is important. The reality is that it is not a good process. We don’t have the resources to allow people to create a great yearbook. This gives us an opportunity and pursue other avenues.

Hornbeck said this is sad. Is there a working group to make sure these other avenues get followed up on. She doesn’t want this to get lost forever.

Sam said this is a good opportunity for students who want to start this conversation to come to an executives.

Whitten has spent time in the archives and some of the only records of societies are the yearbook. This is a useful tool.

Douglas thinks we should bring this discussion to the general meeting to engage more students and alert them to the avenues for yearbooks.

Baker-Kretzmar said that all societies need to write reports. Maybe we should make them more available. He also responded to Douglas. The decision to produce a yearbook is a financial decision in the budget, so it is going to the general meeting in the budget. Anyone can keep the yearbook line in the budget. This here is more of a symbolic vote.

Rendell-Watson is speaking to the printing and advertising. Generally we should have told them before now if we are making a 2014-15 yearbook. We still have 1 year left on the contract, but they said we can end it now. But we need to let them know ASAP.

Sam said the reason we are discussing it at council and not at the general meeting is because we brought it to the general meeting before and they sent it back to council. This is us following through on what we are meant to do as representatives.

We are voting BIRT the King’s students’ Union no longer produce a yearbook. We voted in favour.

Doughlas is now motivating to resign as external vice president. She is sick (she will be fine). She loves this job. She still plans to be involved, but she knows that her job sometimes requires responding to emergencies. She wants the EVP to be able to support the students well. She is sorry to be at this place. She is doing this for the good of the union and its members.

Sam is very proud of Douglas. Douglas is being brave to put the students first. Baker-Kretzmar wants to thank Douglas for all the amazing work she has already done.

We voted. Katie has resigned.

We are recessing for 15 minutes.

1:19 Meeting is back in order.

Anika Stahlbrand submits her resignation as Board of Governors Representative on the union. Stahbrand notes how much she has learned from the position regarding post-secondary education, and governing structures in general. Given the recent resignation of Douglas, Anika looks forward to running for the External Vice-President in the upcoming election.

1:22

Given the need for byelections, we are voting on temporarily filling the 5 spots and 2 alternate spots on elections committee. Usually this is picked at the general meeting, but we need this committee right now, so it will be re-chosen at the general meeting.

Nominations: Meg Sheilds, Brandon Shafer, Jake Norris, Jake Clancy Edwards, and Shawn McIsac. For Alternates we have nominated Becca Steele and Emma Steen (sorry for any spelling errors)

They fill blanks. We voted. It passed.

1:30

Nominations are now open for elections. Owing to the extra-ordinary circumstances nomination will close Sunday September 21st at 11:59, which is a bit earlier than usual, but Haritha Popuri quoted Roberts Rules and it is all good.

Sam thanks our scribe and chair.

1:31 we adjourned