Now Hiring: Services and Campaigns Coordinator (SCC) FT
King’s Students’ Union (Canadian Federation of Students, Local 11)
***Application Deadline extended to May 11, 2016, 5pm EST***
The King’s Students’ Union (KSU) is an organization representing more than 1000 students on the University of King’s College campus in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The KSU is seeking applications for the position of Services and Campaigns Coordinator (SCC). The SCC oversees and manages the union’s services (including the student health and dental plan), provides political and operational support to the elected executive, and manages the KSU’s office. This is a full-time, salaried position with health and dental benefits.
The KSU is the collective voice of King’s students on campus, and provides advocacy and representation through its Executive and Councillors. The KSU believes in accessible education and is committed to fighting for a more equitable society. In addition to advocating for students’ rights, the KSU supports societies and events that help build the King’s community, offers services to its members and runs two businesses. The KSU is local 11 of the Canadian Federation of Students.
The Services and Campaigns Coordinator is supervised by the KSU President. The SCC also interacts on a daily basis with other executive members, members of the KSU Council, general student members, parents, and employees of the University. The SCC is required to provide written reports to the KSU council twice per year.
The responsibilities of the SCC include but are not limited to:
25% OFFICE MANAGEMENT
- Serving as first point of contact with KSU members and visitors in person, online and on the phone
- Ordering, storing and securing all office supplies for the KSU office
- Assisting student societies with printing, photocopying and occasionally the organization of society events
- Ensuring that the office remains organized and clean
25% HEALTH AND DENTAL PLAN
- Administering a health plan for roughly 750 students
- Assisting members with filing claims and providing accurate and timely answers
- Promoting the plan’s benefits, cost, opt out process and claims process
- Conducting all data entry associated with the health plan and working with Green Shield Canada staff to ensure data is uploaded in an accurate and timely manner
15% UNION SERVICES
- Overseeing the issuing of the International Student Identification Card (ISIC)/KSU Membership Card to members including promoting the card and discount program, keeping an inventory of supplies, maintaining the issuing equipment, keeping up to date records and issuing the cards to members
- Overseeing the bulk purchasing of union materials, particularly orientation week items and sexual health products
- Providing support for the planning and implementation of the KSU’s student run Orientation Week as needed including but not limited to assisting with event planning and setup, scheduling, training, fundraising, scheduling, and acquisition of proper permits
20% EXECUTIVE AND COUNCIL SUPPORT
- Providing advice to executive members on issues including internal and external committee work, union and college governance, implementation of campaigns, union financial controls and processes, event organizing, and student life.
- Assisting executive members with media interviews and speaking in public including providing or facilitating ongoing media training, participating in the development of messaging and conducting pre-interview media prep.
- Assisting with the management of KSU’s social media platforms
- Participate in the setting of the KSU’s long and medium term political strategy
- Assist with the logistics of implementing campaign events including setup and teardown
- Provide advice on to the executive on strategy and organization as requested
Ideal Candidate Profile:
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following qualities, skills, and experience:
- Excellent in person, phone and online communication excellent skills including experience managing social media communication in a team environment
- Strong organization skills and work ethic
- A proven commitment to the values of the King’s Students Union
- Experience organizing inclusive events, awareness campaigns and political advocacy campaigns
- Experience within student movement and a grasp of major issues in national and provincial post-secondary education policy
- Understanding of or experience working with public governance models (ideally in the post-secondary sector)
- Working knowledge of health insurance policies (ideally in the public sector)
- Experience preparing communications strategy, including interview prep, press releases, and/or experience writing for social media
Compensation and contract length:
The position is paid $20.10 hourly and is paid full-time at 35 hr/week. Benefits include enrolment in a health and dental plan and 24 days paid vacation. In addition, the KSU will provide the SCC with an allowance to offset cellular and data costs.
This is a contract position with a two-year contract with review and potential renewal for a third year.
How to apply
Applications are due by May 10th, 2016. Please submit cover letter, resume, and
references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letters may be addressed to KSU
President, Aidan McNally. Applicants should be able to begin work on July 1st, 2016 (negotiable).
The King’s Students’ Union is an Employment Equity employer. The KSU encourages applications from members of equity seeking groups, not limited to Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, persons who identify as LGBTQ*, and women. Applicants from equity seeking groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying.